10.3.06

The End of an Era...


..and I can’t say that I am sad to see it go.

TORONTO -- The Canadian Tire couple is no more. When the retailer unveiled its new spring ad campaign yesterday, the bearded handyman Ted and his wife Gloria were nowhere to be seen. The famous pitch-couple had been showing off innovative products for the hardware chain for almost a decade. Canadian Tire said the couple's "demo-mercials" were effective, but research showed they were starting to wear on consumers.”

I know it’s petty, and foolish. But “Ted” always drove me nuts…no pun intended. He always had the perfect tool for even the most obscure problems and always seemed to arrive like a super smug superhero.
And as Kara has said in the past, “is it really camping when you take a TV, a DVD player, a lamp, a laptop, an Xbox, and powertools when you’re camping in the great outdoors just because you brought an Eliminator ™?” To me the Eliminator is what is used to power your laptop to play solitaire when in the field pulling night duty in the CP when its miserable out.

I really loved the commercial about the tires when “Naïve Guy” slides through intersections on bald tires. And good old Ted looks at him and thinks, “Ha, that bastard is going to die in a fiery ball of flaming winter death, but not me- I bought these great tires from Canadian Tire”

Well, we’ll see what is on next for Ted and Gloria, maybe some speaking parts on Corner Gas or something of the like. I wonder if their severance pay will be in Canadian Tire Money?
Til next time,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahah, you have such a way with words...well written...too funny!