4.4.06

You say 18 I say 19.5.....

...Sunday marked a milestone in the ol’ training logbook. (James), Jaime and I braved the shrill wind, and cloudy grey (“where da sun go?”) and we did three laps of the alleged 6.5 km blue trail behind the gym here at Gagetown. James is in paratheses because he started the same time as us, but he scampered off into the sunset, like the white rabbit “I’m late, I’m late” and finished well ahead of us slowpokes. It was good to see James out running, as I know being on course has not been conducive to any kind of training or physical fitness.

Let me be a little indulgent and explain a couple things here: the distance completed ranges from 18km by Garmin, to the ‘book’ value of 19.5km. So we’ll call it 18.75 km :). Also this run was conducted as an LSD and took almost exactly 2:00:00. This I (and Jaime) have theorized is good because our respective half marathon goal times are 2:00:00. So we were 2km short and a bit slower than our pace. I could go ad nauseum into the suspected split times and paces but that’s not really the point of the blog, and I don’t wanna break a pencil trying to figure it out ;)

At any rate, I know this was the longest distance I have ever run, and it is the second time I have done this distance. The first time was conducted with Dani, on a whim, outside of any sort of personal training plan, and I felt like a bus had hit me, twice, by run end. As well, Jaime revealed to me that this was her longest training run ever, and far surpassed anything she did previous to the Fredericton Half last year.

Jaime braved the run in shorts, leaving her thighs an alarming red color by run end. Her 10km knee issue did not seem to be too big an issue. I felt very good after the run and it left me with a very comfortable mental feeling that I could complete a half marathon and will be able to uphold my end of the bargain at the CTRR.
So Thanks Andy, thanks Kara, thanks Jaime and James…It’s all working…*knock on wood*

Til next time…

4 comments:

Trish McCourt said...

That's awesome Scotty! This weekend I'll be running a new distance of 13km. i think I'm well on my way to that Half Mary too, I don't expect to come anywhere close to 2:00:00, though!

Scotty said...

You should grab Kara for your 13!

What did you think of running the blue trail?

Trish McCourt said...

The blue trail was great, in fact I want to find some more trails to run (hillier than the riverside trails).
I pushed myself too hard on the hig hill though, and found myself truly in need of my puffer, for the first time ever (I had never experienced that inabaility to catch my breathe before). Thankfully I paid heed to my dr. and had it on me!
Did Kara do her cut-back this past week instead of this week coming? Or did she get out for a run after I saw her? Would love to do the 13K together, perhaps 2 loops around the blue trail...

Scotty said...

Kara is desparate need of new sneakers, it has gotten to the point that running is starting to hurt...hopefully soon. The Blue Trail is probably one of my absolute favorite places to run, quiet, nature-y, soft impact, and the big hill!