23.4.06

A stolen journalling exercise

Having read a good friends blog I was so struck by one of her posts that I decided to explore the same question. Though my own version may lack the focus of the original intent it held for her I think it will be an excellent exercise. Here is the question:

Are you a night owl or a morning person or something in between? Do you know when this habit began in your life? Do you think people’s sleep patterns are really a part of who they are (like hair color) or can be changed with circumstances?

-The easy answer to this question is that I am a full-blown morning person. I do know when this habit began, and I believe though natural, they can be changed by circumstances.

My explanation. I have always gotten up early, always. I used to always be awake a half hour before the sun would rise. This was a habit reinforced by my requirement to always get up for school, or to get up to go to hockey practise. This ability and preference for me to start my day as early as possible was an advantage, especially when it came to sports as my mental readiness was often much more focused than my teammates during early practises.

This has proven so extremely advantageous for me considering my career choice. Being a soldier, and an officer often requires me to be up before the rest, even if I went down after all the rest. But I think I have a good ability to wake up, and wake up quickly and alert. This is coupled with my ability to shut myself off, an ability Kara hates, and that I will discuss in a couple paragraphs from now.

Even if I take the time to stay out, or stay up and be a night owl I will 95% of the time be awake first thing in the morning. This may leave me as a complete writeoff by 1400 but I was up. Kara and I have always been very different in this regard as I would classify her as a definitive night owl. She would be happy if her day started at 9 am with a two hour nap. But her fun isn't starting til 2230-2300.

This habit, as mentioned, mostly developed naturally for me as a result of forced school timings and hockey practise. But I began to acknowledge my like for it in High School, and I have a real fascination with the "dead"morning hours, the time of pure darkness, and often calmness usually at about 3:30 to 4:30 in the morning. I went through a period in Grade 12 and first year university where I stayed up all night to reach this point, then I smartened up and started going to bed earlier and getting up at this time.

It is my favorite time to drive long distances, it is my favorite time to pull sentry or CP duty.

I have really developed a skill that Kara hates, and that is my ability to turn off, and fall asleep almost immediately. No matter what is going on in my life. This has been ultra enhanced by my reaction to Basic training, when I realized, "You know what? screw it, tomorrow is going to get here, and it's probably going to suck, but I don't want it to suck and be dragging my ass!" This ability to detach was something mentioned and explored in a book I just finished "Tuesdays With Morrie" (review to follow in another Blog!) I pride myself on this ability, and though I do have those times whan I just can't do it, I pride myself on "letting go" and then reestablishing the connection (and the heartburn) the next morning.

I believe peoples sleeping habits are the perfect blend of nurture and nature. I think I am predisposed to an early rising, and events in my life made it habit. Working to detach myself from issues has been something I have nurtured, and have tried to make 'natural"'.

I think people can set conditions for their own success if they make it a) a priority and b) if the circumstances allow for it to happen. Causes of our stress we cannot control, reactions to that stress we can. Some things just can't be done from 2300-0500, so laying awake brooding/panicking is no help to anyone.

Those are my thoughts anyway, and almost worth a nickel...

What a great exercise...

Til next time.

1 comment:

Trish McCourt said...

I enjoy your perspective. Although I wish it were simply as easy as 'shutting off'. While I wholeheartedly agree there's no point in brooding when nothing can be done about it, somehow my brain doesn't care.
I'm getting better, but it has taken careful practise and discipline (something I lack enough of) to ensure that my intake (dietary) and my routine are regular, predictable, and sleep-compatible.