29.8.07

First Speedwork

Last night I did my first real effort at speedwork since starting really training again.

I am following Hal Higdon's Intermediate Half Marathon Plan, but in this months Runner's World it focused on the Half. In the article and accompanying plan there was a session of speedwork included weekly. I thought adding some speedwork might be a pretty good idea to mix it up and well, maybe improve my runing.

I do almost all my running exclusively on the treadmill. Keeps me out of the humidity and I can set up my laptop and either watch a show or listen to music. The treadmill we have has some decent programs on it that allow for elevation increase and decrease, so I rarely run at a level plane.

Anyway, the scheduled run was for 3.5 miles, just shy of six km. So what I did was the following.

First .5 m was a light warm up, started at 5m/ h and increased .2 mph every .1 miles... confused yet?

any way once at .5 miles I sprinted for .4 of a mile and rested for .1...

0 - 0.5 warmup
0.5 - 0.9 sprint 7.2mph
0.9 - 1.0 rest 4 mph
1.0 - 1.4 sprint 7.5mph

and on until 4 miles topping out at at 8.4 mph.

Probably did nothing but make me tired but felt like a great workout last night.

Ha ha I am not a trained professional, do not try this at home...

No comments: