7.9.06

Bubba Goes to School

Today was a big day. Nathaniel had his first day of school. Kara and I had been prepping him for months, talking about it, getting him excited. And he was.

The excitement was really evident when he and Kara went out for some school shopping. Nathaniel got two complete new outfits of some nice jeans and shirts and a new hat. So that combined with the wicked cool Spiderman backpack his Grampy Lang got for him and his new Spiderman lunch box he was all set.

Last night I set my travel alarm clock for him for 6:45, he thought that was really cool! So with his lunch made, and clothes laid out (with Spiderman boxers and socks) he was all set. He went to bed around 8:30, and may have finally been asleep by ten!!!!

The clock in my room said 6:44 when Nathaniel came in with an energetic and infectious, “I’m up!”
“Go get dressed.” said mom. Footsteps. Thirty nanoseconds later footsteps back, then he begins dragging the blanket off the bed. He was dressed in his hat, his sneakers, and his backpack.
“Go downstairs.” said dad. Footsteps. Front door opens. Dad jumps up, “get in here you need to have breakfast!!” Door opens, closes, footsteps.
“Can you make me breakfast?” Nathaniel asks.

I don’t think he was excited at all.

A short time thereafter, (after coffee) Mom, Dad, Raven, and Sophia (complete in new rubber boots and a backpack to be like Bubba) walk Nathaniel to school. The mosquitoes were horrible.
Once there, Kara takes Nathaniel inside to find his classroom. That left me with one obedient thing and one thing running around sniffing people. Yep Raven just sat there at my feet. Just kidding.
But it was weird; I was in uniform, as I had to go to work right after. So I had a crowd of twenty kids, boys asking “Are you ARMY?” Girls asking “Can I pet your dog.” I felt like the Pied Piper….

Well all in all it went well, apparently he had fun and wants to go back. My little guy is still little, but he’s getting there. I am really proud of him. And I am proud of his mom, for not crying….
I am sure there will be many stories to follow.

1 comment:

Trish McCourt said...

Ya, I, on the other shed just a few tears today (nothing major... )