12.8.06

The day before I go away.

Hey faithful readers...

It's Saturday and it is the day before I go away for two weeks to be involved in two separate, yet related exercises as part of TF1-07, (Task Force 1-07). As always I am excited, yet that is tempered by the fact that I will be away. It is excellent to be a part of a training scenario where shortfalls and lack thereofs are not things to be accounted for and accepted, but are attacked and if the exact thing is not readily available SOMETHING is made available. Really weird because the whole previous time with any training, whether as trainee or trainer we went without.

The fact that I am plugging into 2RCR Battle Group HQ and being useful is really good and has become quite real.


Recently, asI mentioned it in a previous post, I bought a bike. It is a KHS Westwood 19inch. Here: http://www.khscanada.com/v2/bikeview.php?id=335

The good news/ bad news/ and the no-so-bad-I-can-live-with-it..

Good news, I got it for less than the MSRP (taxes in) and I got a kickstand and water bottle/holder too. It is a nice comfortable bike, and it is very lightweight and mechanically seems pretty good. It will be the ideal bike for commuting to and from work...When I am in Moncton to do that...Ha-ha- *sigh*

Bad news, I was originally looking for bike that I could participate (comPLete, not coMPete) in a duathlon or two once I got home and had some time in the saddle. And I knew that beginners often used whatever they had. I had nothing, So I stayed away from the Mountain Bike side of the House and got something with "big thin tires" I know that may sound stupid, but I've ridden nothing but a unicycle for the last five years. So I got what I thought would be an ideal starter bike. Well, I do have a friend who was a semipro racer who scolded me saying that the bike is totally inadequate.

The result... I have decided to live with this bike, which is cool because it is still a work out for my legs and it is comfortable to ride on. Both good things to re-initiate me to two wheeled self-powered transportation. Also, the handlebars and seat are fully adjustable. So I was able to lower my grips forward and elevate my seat to make the riding position a bit more "aggressive" and "workout like".

As I said this bike is a really nice commuter bike, and Moncton seems to be pretty bicycle friendly, and I could likely get to just about anywhere in the city relatively easily and relatively quick, I like that. Especially with gas prices, and the fact that Nathaniel is getting better on his bike and is harder to keep up with now. So hopefully, upon my return we could bike together.

The ultimate plan (right now) is to make due with what I have (and I am not complaining I like what I have) and then upon my return I'll give some Du's a tri...*groan* and then maybe spend a couple grand on an entry level triathlon bike.

Til next time....(see you ina couple weeks)...


OH, and for those who usually email me at work or those who want to email me, I lost my entire contacts list recently so I have none of your email addys...so please please, lang.sm@forces.gc.ca... I want to keep in touch with you all at home and abroad...

No comments: