12.5.06

Body Management vs. Run Management

RUNNING ECONOMY The amount of oxygen used when running at a steady, less-than-all-out effort. An economical runner uses less energy to maintain the same pace. This leaves the more efficient runner with greater energy reserves for later in a workout or race. Runners World June 2006

e·piph·a·ny n. pl. e·piph·a·nies
Epiphany
1- A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi.
January 6, on which this feast is traditionally observed.
2- A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.

3-A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
b- A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization: “I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself” (Frank Maier).

I suppose it is an epiphany even when it takes months for a realization to happen, and I suppose in the religious context above it is something that could take a lifetime, equitable to a Buddhist seeking Enlightenment. When I read the ‘running economy’ definition in this months well used edition of the Runners World a lot of ideas in my head came together with the subtlety of a train wreck.

Back in August 05 when I followed Kara’s example and started running for fun I, personally, was a victim of the stopwatch and formulas. Slowly over time I have weaned my self from using devices during my runs, watches, Garmins, MP3 players, every thing, I would even put the treadmill to calorie counter (which did disappoint me a little…but I digress). So everything is becoming what in some circles in known as a ‘Zen’ runner, no bias on the religion. I have learned to run and enjoy running by perceived exertion. I often felt trapped in training plans having to run a certain distance at a certain speed, even on days when I felt like sh—aving cream. So I started taking the strict distances as suggestions, and I allowed my running objectives to be incorporated into the realities of my work and family schedules. Though I did maintain a solid focus on conducting my LSDs on weekends. So I stayed true to my distances, and technically stayed true to my schedule, but did in a way that would not have me hurting myself or grow weary or discouraged.

Though it was an injury, I think, that started my unconscious focus on Body Management. I have become so aware now of what it takes to fuel my body and build my body to achieve the goals I want. I must add immediately though that this is only a relative success, as before I was completely and utter oblivious to the way I treated my body, everything became so right now. I want to drink a lot of beer right now, I want a bag of chips right now, I want to run right now….Having planned out that “Yes Saturday/ Sunday, I will do a long distance” has lead me to hydrate before, during and after, and feed my body and rest the adequate amount to make it worth while.
I began to realize these things just before, during, and after my last 18km LSD with Trish. It was helped by the fact that I am on course right now, and had to regiment my weekly PT and weekend timings to make sure it happened as it was a necessary thing to act as final preparation for Sunday’s Half.

I now know I have trained enough and will be able to complete the half (barring catastrophe), goal number one has been accomplished. Goal two is to try and beat 2:15 for a time. But that will rely on Race Management, making sure that I run at a good even pace for the entirety of the race. So I have been going over walk-run strategies, music- no music strategies in my mind.

I hope that I can achieve a balance, and display running economy during the half. For it was something I achieved this week in an unplanned frantic five km on the treadmill. Normally my treadmill routine starts off with a “warmup” at about 10km/hr. Then increases, based on time or distance or whim until the last bit I am sprinting at 14 km/h. Well, this past run I started at 10-11km for the first two km, because I wanted to run at one smooth pace. I got bored and jacked the treadmill to 13km/h planning to sprint for a short time. That short time lasted for 15 minutes and I managed a 24 minute 5 km, which surprised me. I was nowhere near as beat and winded as usual. Lesson learned, nice even pace, even at a faster race brings the same result as slow and steady followed but by gut wrenching sprint…the kind of gut wrenching sprint that has me leaking bacon fat instead of sweat…

So hopefully I have done enough body management to facilitate good run management to facilitate goal 2 being met…

Did that just sound awkward to me?

1 comment:

Trish McCourt said...

So, it appears to have worked!